Monday, November 9, 2009

Holiday Writing Mini-Contest!

We're excited that so many of you are excited about our Holiday Writing Contest! We invite you to answer this question to help with the brainstorming process:

"My favorite Holiday tradition is ..."


Just make a comment below and we'll award a prize to the most thoughtful, funny, or original response. Check back next week to see who will win free bowling at Fat Cats - one of our amazing sponsors!

Remember that submissions for the holiday booklet are due next Thursday, November 20th! Here are some more prompts if you are trying to come up with a topic:
  • What I Like the Most About The Holidays
  • My Favorite Holiday Memory
  • The Best Holiday I Could Ever Imagine
  • "The Girl Who Didn’t Know Christmas"
  • The Gift that Changed the World
  • What Christmas Means to Me
  • My favorite Holiday treat
  • Why It’s Important to Celebrate
  • How I Can Help Others This Holiday Season
  • A Poem about Snowflakes
  • Why We Should/Should Not Do Away With Santa Claus?
  • Are Holidays too commercialized?
  • What Is the Christmas Spirit?
  • The History of Christmas Traditions in America
  • Christmas in… (choose a country)

3 comments:

Josh said...

Without fail someone in my family comes down with the flu during the holidays. It's probably one of our best traditions. I especially like it when my Mother gets the flu, because Relief Society dinners around the holidays always come with some killer desserts.

But, I digress.

My most memorable Christmas was back in 1987. Our whole family got the flu, except my older brother. To help prevent my brother come down with flu, my Mother in her infinite wisdom decided that my brother needed a flu shot to avoid what everybody else in our house had.

If you need to know one thing about my brother it's simply that he hates shots. It doesn't matter what size or purpose. So getting my brother to get a flu shot was a battle my Mother should have been more prepared for.

I remember the day clearly. It was Christmas Eve and my Mom along with my Aunt took me and my little sister along on some errands before we took my brother to the doctors for his flu shot. My brother knew exactly what was happening and fought all the way to the doctors. Trying in vain to talk himself out of his situation.

My mother managed to get him out of the car and into the doctor's office while my Aunt stayed with me and my sister. It wasn't more than 20 minutes that my brother came charging out of the doctor's office ... pantless as a Nurse came chasing after him with a needle.

The chase circled around the parking lot as my brother yelled at the nurse and my Mom. My Mom still getting over her flu symptoms didn't have the strength to pursue my brother.

It wasn't until a couple minutes later when another nurse came out and was able to corner my brother that the chase ended. He got his shot and pants back.

So every Christmas Eve when one of us Hansen kids are sick. I will always go back to the memory of my pantless brother being chased by a nurse in the middle of Bountiful.

Dennis B said...

Unlike Joshua, mine is not a novel.
But I digress.

My favorite holiday tradition is not all that unique, but it has lead to some funny stories. In my home, we each get matching pajamas to wear to bed on Christmas Eve. This way we all look cute in the pictures opening presents.

My mom tries to mix it up and make the pajamas funky or funny. One year the pjs had a sports theme, and my older brother's looked like a baseball jersey. However, what my mom failed to recognize is that this particual shirt said in bright, yellow letters "World's Best Dad." I think my brother was about 19 at the time, and nowhere near paternal status.

The pajamas are still something that I look forward to each and every year.

Jordan said...

Christmas is my favorite holiday. The crisp, winter air, the decorations, family, friends, food, and people helping others are all great reasons to love this time of year. For me, I cannot wait to start listening to Christmas music. Many people are adamant that you cannot start listening to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. Obviously, several radio stations disagree. I personally like to pull out the music a week or two into November. I could listen to the Christmas stations I have created on Pandora.com for hours. I also love getting out my Christmas sheet music to play on the piano or sing.